February 4, 2010

Mascarpone, a tale of failure.


Dear readers,

I have failed you, I've failed myself, and I failed the nice lady who taught us how to make mascarpone at the Cascade People's Center. I will spare you my excuses, since I know you don't care that I couldn't find the 1 1/2 to 2 hours it would have taken me to go to Kirkland from Snoqualmie during lunch in order to pick up the tartaric acid I needed for the recipe. It was poor judgment on my part to think that the alternative recipe I found on this site  that uses white wine vinegar in lieu of the C4H6O6 that the recipe called for would work out like expected.

mascarpone prep


Things started out so well, and I had high hopes for the finished product. I searched incessantly for cream that had not been ultra-pasteurized, and paid out the bum for it at PCC. I used a double boiler to prevent scalding or burning the milk. I stirred like crazy, standing in front of the worst stove in the world for 2 hours hoping that curds would magically materialize, but alas, it was not meant to be.    

In short, I tried my best to make things work, but in the end I was left with a with a funky cream cheese-like mixture that never really separated in to curds / whey. 

Making queso


I didn't bother with pictures of the finished product, but I'm determined to try again next week. Don't worry, dear readers, you'll be the first to know how it goes. 


1 comment:

  1. Sorry it didn't turn out right, Brett. I am still holding out hope for some Tiramisu at work :)

    ReplyDelete