February 15, 2010

What I'm listening to.


Gristlybits is mostly a food blog, but I haven't been cooking much of late. So, instead of boring you with tales of  grilled cheeses and taco salads I will share with you, dear readers, some tidbits from my other hobby, music.

WXYC: College radio from University of North Carolina, is by far my favorite radio station. Think KEXP without the overpaid morning douche and pledge drives (not that there's anything wrong with the pledge drives), but with more variety and a much more diverse offering. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for KEXP and all that they do for independent music (whatever that means), but they're no WXYC,

Hot Chip: One Life Stand. Hot Chip's fourth studio album, "One Life Stand" might be their best record yet! The wife and I listened to it last night whilst we made dinner and I found myself dancing around the kitchen like an idiot to Hot Chip's stupidly catchy sythnpop grooves. Twelve thumbs up. I also highly recommend the Hot Chip DJ-Kicks comp if you're not familiar with their work.


I got sidetracked and didn't have time to finish this post. In the interest of clearning the queue out, I'll give you the terse version:


Bear in Heaven: Beast Rest Forth Mouth. Psych-prog pop rock w/ a touch of drone? Très Magnifique!

Fuck Buttons Tarot Sport. Noise for the sake of being weird, and I can't stop listening. One of my favorite albums of 2009.

Atlas Sound: Logos. Bradford Cox's 'solo' project. Experimental rock of the best kind. Also, see Deerhunter.

Neon Indian: Psychic Chasms. Disjointed electro-pop from Austin, TX. Catchy, has a White Williams vibe, and I mean that in a good way. 



No comments:

Post a Comment