March 12, 2010

No time for love, Dr Jones.**


So yeah, been busy. The wife and I went back to TX for a few days to help our friends' Jamie and Denny celebrate their shotgun wedding.  Saw the friends and family, drank too much, and ate some mother-loving Whataburger. I love Whataburger.

Whataburger

Now I don't eat fast food often, I think most of it is pretty gross in fact. There are, however,  a few places that I hold in high esteem: In-and-Out, Taco Bueno, and Whataburger. Chick-Fil-A use to be on the list; they had a mean chicken biscuit once upon a time, but not so much anymore.



What else? My wife had a birthday a couple of weeks ago, so we gathered our friends and celebrated her 27th year of life at Flying Squirrel Pizza. We ate, we drank, we were merry. 

Shrie bday

The weather this winter has been ridiculous, so we've been taking advantage of it. Iris approves.

Iris mid-run

I haven't been cooking anything too interesting lately, though I have been on a kale kick.

Green for the monies.

Since this is technically a cooking blog, I guess I'll share my favorite kale recipes.

1.5 lbs kale, cleaned and roughly chopped. I prefer to tear it by hand.
3 gloves garlic, chopped
1 healthy pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tbs white or red wine vinegar 
2 tbs olive oil
Salt / Pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the kale and toss well with the oil. Add the stock, bring to a boil, cover, and steam for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook until liquid has evaporated. Toss with vinegar, salt, and pepper. Douse with Tabasco and enjoy.

This recipe works well with most greens, especially mustard. 


**Though I think the movie, he actually said, "Hey, Doctor Jones, no time for love!".




No comments:

Post a Comment